How to Meditate
This is a simple ten minute mediation that I learned from Headspace.
It focuses on breathing and mindfulness. There are other types of meditation
exercises that you can do too, but this is the one I use every day.
- With eyes open, take deep, audible breaths. In from the nose out through the mouth. 30 seconds.
- Gently closing the eyes, listen to the sounds around you, feel your feet on the floor, hands on your lap.
- Quickly scan your body from head to feet and back up. Note how the body feels but don’t dwell on it.
- Briefly remind yourself of why you are doing this.
- Locate your diaphragm. Feel it rise and fall for a few moments, without changing your breathing patterns. Just observe.
- Continuing to observe, begin to count your breaths. Inhale 1, exhale 2, inhale 3, etc. Up to a count of 10, then start again.
- After several minutes, allow your mind to be free and do whatever it wants. 30 seconds.
- Reconnect with your surroundings, sounds and sensations. Gently open your eyes.
- Reflect on how it feels to have taken time to yourself
- Consider what you will do next, and smoothly transition into that. Bringing your sense of calm with you.