There has been an ongoing trend toward Brutalism in web design, and I am fully on board.
The “movement”, if you can call it that, is summarized by the idea of Truth to Materials:
any material should be used where it is most appropriate and its nature should not be hidden.
Brutalism can be seen as a reaction by a younger generation to the lightness, optimism, and frivolity of today’s web design. —brutalistwebsites.com
The people want the speed of the OG web; they want the simplicity of the mother fucking website; they want the homepage back; they want some quirkiness; They want the features inherent to the web that brutalist-web.design outlines:
- Content is readable on all reasonable screens and devices.
- Only hyperlinks and buttons respond to clicks.
- Hyperlinks are underlined and buttons look like buttons.
- The back button works as expected.
- View content by scrolling.
- Decoration when needed and no unrelated content.
- Performance is a feature.
Let’s give the people what they want!